2016 Overview

The beginning of the new year is a time to look back on what I accomplished last year. I find this to be quite inspirational, as you sometimes forget what you’ve done in a year.

In January, my todo list for the next year was as follows. Red-white regency dress, red spencer, red wool cloak, Edwardian hat, Edwardian tartan jacket & blue/silver regency dress.

I managed to complete all but the red spencer & red cloak. The red spencer is in progress, but taking a bit more time because I picked what’s probably the most time-consuming trimming method available. More on that later. The red cloak hasn’t happened yet, but will definitiely go on the todo list for next year.

I also mentioned doing 18th century, 1880s or Tudor if I had time. In the end, this ended up being 1870’s because I’ll be attending a Victorian ball next year and the theme is early bustle. In total I made 4 pieces of undergarments and 4 outer garments for this outfit, so I think I did pretty good on that!

Finally, I made 3 historical items which weren’t on the list at all, and finished 2 modern blouses, a new underbust corset and 6 modern skirts (3 of which I blogged about).

All in all, a pretty productive year! Blow, an overview of all blogged-about finished pieces made in 2016.

The first item was made right after the new year, a regency petticoat.

 photo img_5445_zps6fovx0it.jpg

Shortly after, the dress this petticoat was made for was completed. Still really happy with how this turned out, and I hope to have an occasion to wear it to sometime soon!

 photo img_6638_zps2d780bju.jpg

After the recency projects, two modern skirts out of cotton.

 photo img_6682_zpsldovw9wu.jpg photo img_6689_zpsstugrkqw.jpg

Although the Edwardian tartan project started in 2015, it got finished and worn in 2016! The hat & jacked completed this outfit.

 photo dsc05469b_zpswidxnzua.jpg

I also made another underbust corset, my first attempt at pattern matching!

 photo img_7456_zpsjurblu88.jpg

Even though I didn’t really need another regency dress, this fabric was just irresistable. I made this up mainly because I wanted to get rid of some of my stack before allowing myself to start new projects. I do like how it turned out though, and I still love the color.

 photo img_7484_zpstmbz9suc.jpg

Another regency item I didn’t necessarily need, but which came onto my path and was too nice to resist.

 photo 20160918_125712_zps4x4tzsk6.jpg

After finishing the big Edwardian project and some new Regency pieces, it was time to start on something big and new. Early bustle (ca 1875) Victorian! A glimpse of the chemise.

 photo 20160906_180703_zpsafl3fme8.jpg

And of course, a bustle was needed!

 photo img_7540_zpscouu2gu0.jpg

As well as a new Victorian corset.

 photo img_7518_zpsdfkocvhg.jpg

A slight interlude from all the Victorian costuming, a plaid wool skirt which finally got finished!

 photo IMG_8667_zpsqbpgyfjj.jpg

And a 1920’s evening dress. Because once I got an invitation to a ’20’s themed event I couldn’t resist.

 photo IMG_8644_zps2tbhc85j.jpg

The last couple of months of the year I went back to Victorian. Starting with a cotton petticoat.

 photo IMG_8782b_zpssftn6cgu.jpg

And, finally, the main pieces. An underskirt, overskirt and train.

 photo IMG_8881b_zpsgn5s92v8.jpg

The final garment of the outfit: the bodice.

 photo 20161204_152759_zpswkjjbgom.jpg

To completely finish up the look I made red roses to serve as trim and hair accessories. The full outfit is completely wearable now.

 photo Naamloos-5_zpsdo5xuepl.jpg

A quick project while finishing the dress was a mantelet in the same era.

 photo IMG_8926_zpsvrohxamu.jpg

Finally, I made a pair of drawers. Started December 30th finished December 31nd!

 photo 20161231_143324_zpsq4xxmsm6.jpg