Hoop skirt

This december I started on a new eliptical crinoline cage. My older one was made mostly out of plastic piping and ducttape, and while the piping was sturdy enough, it kept falling apart. As result, I’ve only worn in twice and was constantly worrying how it would keep. Not very pleasant, so I decided to make a new one, do it properly and with steel boning. So I ordered the pattern from Truly Victorian, the boning and loads of ribbon. Here some progress pictures. Good quality will follow when it’s done!

 

Making the bag:

 

20141215_150310

 

 

I couldn’t find proper bone-casing, so I chose to use 3 cm bias tape and folded it in half and stitched it together. This worked fine, although it was narrow for the 11 mm boning. Took a lot of stitching though, as it was 14 meters.

20141220_135730

 

 

 

I started with pinning everything together to check the length and even-ness. This is what it looked like before boning. A bit sad still.

20141220_142509

 

 

That’s better! With all the bones inserted and everything pined together.

20141220_161519

 

 

And with the ribbons between the half-circle hoops. This is what makes it stand out. Starting to look like a proper cage skirt.

20141223_122807

 

 

At this point, it looked finished, but everything was still just pinned in place. I shifted some of the hoops slightly, and then started hand-sewing all the ribbons to the hoops. Suffice, to say, this took some time.

20141223_205133

 

 

To attach the hoops in the front together, I was advised to use heat shrink with glue. I’d never heard of this, but it’s shrinkable plastic piping generally used to attach electric wiring together. It worked quite well, and is very sturdy! This is what it looked like before closing the bias tape over it.

20141229_110025

 

Almost done! So when it’s finished I’ll make some proper pictures to show.