2016 Overview

The beginning of the new year is a time to look back on what I accomplished last year. I find this to be quite inspirational, as you sometimes forget what you’ve done in a year.

In January, my todo list for the next year was as follows. Red-white regency dress, red spencer, red wool cloak, Edwardian hat, Edwardian tartan jacket & blue/silver regency dress.

I managed to complete all but the red spencer & red cloak. The red spencer is in progress, but taking a bit more time because I picked what’s probably the most time-consuming trimming method available. More on that later. The red cloak hasn’t happened yet, but will definitiely go on the todo list for next year.

I also mentioned doing 18th century, 1880s or Tudor if I had time. In the end, this ended up being 1870’s because I’ll be attending a Victorian ball next year and the theme is early bustle. In total I made 4 pieces of undergarments and 4 outer garments for this outfit, so I think I did pretty good on that!

Finally, I made 3 historical items which weren’t on the list at all, and finished 2 modern blouses, a new underbust corset and 6 modern skirts (3 of which I blogged about).

All in all, a pretty productive year! Blow, an overview of all blogged-about finished pieces made in 2016.

The first item was made right after the new year, a regency petticoat.

 photo img_5445_zps6fovx0it.jpg

Shortly after, the dress this petticoat was made for was completed. Still really happy with how this turned out, and I hope to have an occasion to wear it to sometime soon!

 photo img_6638_zps2d780bju.jpg

After the recency projects, two modern skirts out of cotton.

 photo img_6682_zpsldovw9wu.jpg photo img_6689_zpsstugrkqw.jpg

Although the Edwardian tartan project started in 2015, it got finished and worn in 2016! The hat & jacked completed this outfit.

 photo dsc05469b_zpswidxnzua.jpg

I also made another underbust corset, my first attempt at pattern matching!

 photo img_7456_zpsjurblu88.jpg

Even though I didn’t really need another regency dress, this fabric was just irresistable. I made this up mainly because I wanted to get rid of some of my stack before allowing myself to start new projects. I do like how it turned out though, and I still love the color.

 photo img_7484_zpstmbz9suc.jpg

Another regency item I didn’t necessarily need, but which came onto my path and was too nice to resist.

 photo 20160918_125712_zps4x4tzsk6.jpg

After finishing the big Edwardian project and some new Regency pieces, it was time to start on something big and new. Early bustle (ca 1875) Victorian! A glimpse of the chemise.

 photo 20160906_180703_zpsafl3fme8.jpg

And of course, a bustle was needed!

 photo img_7540_zpscouu2gu0.jpg

As well as a new Victorian corset.

 photo img_7518_zpsdfkocvhg.jpg

A slight interlude from all the Victorian costuming, a plaid wool skirt which finally got finished!

 photo IMG_8667_zpsqbpgyfjj.jpg

And a 1920’s evening dress. Because once I got an invitation to a ’20’s themed event I couldn’t resist.

 photo IMG_8644_zps2tbhc85j.jpg

The last couple of months of the year I went back to Victorian. Starting with a cotton petticoat.

 photo IMG_8782b_zpssftn6cgu.jpg

And, finally, the main pieces. An underskirt, overskirt and train.

 photo IMG_8881b_zpsgn5s92v8.jpg

The final garment of the outfit: the bodice.

 photo 20161204_152759_zpswkjjbgom.jpg

To completely finish up the look I made red roses to serve as trim and hair accessories. The full outfit is completely wearable now.

 photo Naamloos-5_zpsdo5xuepl.jpg

A quick project while finishing the dress was a mantelet in the same era.

 photo IMG_8926_zpsvrohxamu.jpg

Finally, I made a pair of drawers. Started December 30th finished December 31nd!

 photo 20161231_143324_zpsq4xxmsm6.jpg

2016 – plans & dreams

After the 2015 year review, it’s time to look forward to the next year!

I will actually start with finally making my red-white regency dress, which was already on the planning for last year. I promise, however, that it’s actually going to happen now! It’s first on the list, and I already started working on the pattern for the bodice.

Jurk1

After the dress, the red spencer should finally be made! The plan is still more or less the same, something like below with a lot of braid, but in red.

 

The other unfinished item on last year’s list was a red cloak. I’m not entirely sure about that anymore though. It might get made that way, or it might become a red regency cloak. I still love the whole red-riding-hood vibe. In any case, if I’ll make it up it’ll be near the end of the year.

 

Because I also have my Edwardian outfit to finish. I still need a hat!

 

And because I still have quite a bit of tartan wool left over, I’m thinking of making a short Edwardian jacket to go with the outfit. I haven’t settled on a style yet, or been able to find a pattern base to work from, but it would be really nice to have a jacket… This is the style I mean:

That’s the concrete list of plans! If I have time, I might also start on yet another regency dress. I recently bought some fabric which, although not really historical (I’m sure it’s not a natural fibre), is close enough to satin to work. It’s also really pretty, a gorgeous light blue with a silver braided trim on both sides. I just couldn’t resist.

And who knows, maybe I’ll even dive into a new era this year! Currently on my interest list are late 18th century, Tudor and 1880’s, so who knows!