In my two previous posts, I shared the progress of making an 1880’s gold/black bustle dress.
I’ve had the gold fabric for this dress for a while. The occasion to finally make this was a private anniversary in the U.K. to which I was graciously invited. There were a couple of days, all in the ‘Victorian bustle’ theme, so it was the perfect reason to make a new garment. The event was lovely, and I really loved wearing this new dress. As always, I have some small things I want to fix already (mostly necklines which wanted to gap open a little), but overall I’m really happy with how it turned out. This fabric was a joy to work with and wear.
Thanks to Serena and Melchior for taking some pictures for me!
It was originally inspired by this dress from the MET:
I changed the underskirt to better suit my taste and fabric stash, inspired by the design of this dress:
And I added a ballgown bodice based mostly on this existent one;