Red/White regency dress

My red/white regency dress is done! The planning took ages (other projects took precedence), but the sewing was actually rather quick! I really love how it turned out.

My original inspiration and plan

And the details of the bodice construction

I didn’t take a lot of images of the skirt construction, as it’s basically two rectangles (front & back) and a sort-of-triangle (side). I didn’t use a pattern, but I did take inspiration from the patterns in the book Regency Women’s Dress: Techniques and Patterns 1800-1830, by  Cassidy Percoco. 

The finished dress on my dress form.

 

And a detail of the bodice:

IMG_6603

IMG_6609

The bodice closes with a bunch of ties. I tried to photograph how it’s done, so these are the steps.

This is what it looks like without anything attached. (Over only a shift, as my stays don’t fit my dress form very well)

IMG_6625

The first 2 ties are attached to the center back of the lining and tied in front. These are just to stabalize everything.

IMG_6624

Next up is the bodice lining. This is closed with a pin to the right hand side (as viewer). It’s hidden under the dress here, one of the following picture shows the pin.

IMG_6622

The left (viewer perspective) bodice part isn’t attached to the skirt, but has a small modesty placket and a tie at the tip. This is closed through a loop in the right-side lining, as shown in the next image.

IMG_6621

This image shows the pin which closes the lining at the side. Underneath there’s a little loop (which is very hard to see, sorry). This loop is used to close the side of the bodice which isn’t attached to the skirt. This has a tie which goes through the loop and is secured in place.

IMG_6619

The other bodice part is attached to the skirt and has a long tie at the end. This wraps around the entire dress, through the loops in the back. This tie is hidden in the end by the red bow.

IMG_6616

The tie is pinned to the dress at the split, the remaining tie can be hidden within the split.

IMG_6612

The whole thing lying flat, showing all the ties.

IMG_6628

The hem facing is made similarly to bias tape (just not cut on the bias), and longer for the front than the back part. I machine sewed it in place on the right side of the dress, and hand-stitched it in place at the back. Most of the dress is machine-sewn, but I didn’t want any of it showing, so most finishes were done by hand.

IMG_6632

 

I also managed to take some pictures of myself wearing the dress, as it does fit me better than my dress form.

 

And some details of the top:

IMG_6660

IMG_6671

 

 

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Red/White regency dress

    • Thanks! I was going for historically-plausible with the closure, so no zippers ;). I also don’t know if it’d be easier, with a dress like this you can’t really reach the center back, so you’d still need to ask someone to zip you up. This I can actually do myself (with a bit of fiddling 😉 ).

  1. Pingback: Historical accuracy – Regency | Atelier Nostalgia

  2. Pingback: 2016 Overview | Atelier Nostalgia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s