My red/white regency dress is done! The planning took ages (other projects took precedence), but the sewing was actually rather quick! I really love how it turned out.
My original inspiration and plan
And the details of the bodice construction
I didn’t take a lot of images of the skirt construction, as it’s basically two rectangles (front & back) and a sort-of-triangle (side). I didn’t use a pattern, but I did take inspiration from the patterns in the book Regency Women’s Dress: Techniques and Patterns 1800-1830, by
The finished dress on my dress form.
And a detail of the bodice:
The bodice closes with a bunch of ties. I tried to photograph how it’s done, so these are the steps.
This is what it looks like without anything attached. (Over only a shift, as my stays don’t fit my dress form very well)
The first 2 ties are attached to the center back of the lining and tied in front. These are just to stabalize everything.
Next up is the bodice lining. This is closed with a pin to the right hand side (as viewer). It’s hidden under the dress here, one of the following picture shows the pin.
The left (viewer perspective) bodice part isn’t attached to the skirt, but has a small modesty placket and a tie at the tip. This is closed through a loop in the right-side lining, as shown in the next image.
This image shows the pin which closes the lining at the side. Underneath there’s a little loop (which is very hard to see, sorry). This loop is used to close the side of the bodice which isn’t attached to the skirt. This has a tie which goes through the loop and is secured in place.
The other bodice part is attached to the skirt and has a long tie at the end. This wraps around the entire dress, through the loops in the back. This tie is hidden in the end by the red bow.
The tie is pinned to the dress at the split, the remaining tie can be hidden within the split.
The whole thing lying flat, showing all the ties.
The hem facing is made similarly to bias tape (just not cut on the bias), and longer for the front than the back part. I machine sewed it in place on the right side of the dress, and hand-stitched it in place at the back. Most of the dress is machine-sewn, but I didn’t want any of it showing, so most finishes were done by hand.
I also managed to take some pictures of myself wearing the dress, as it does fit me better than my dress form.
From the front
And the back, fashion-plate style
And some details of the top: