My edwardian corset is done!
When I left off last time, I was trying to figure out how to avoid wrinkles in the silk when stitching the boning channels on.
I tried to use a different zipper foot, but it didn’t really work… I looked for other solutions, but they involve fusing the fabrics, or pinning them together over a curve. This would mean taking the whole thing apart though, and as I’d already sewn on all the boning channels that seemed like completely undoing every progress I’d made. So I decided to just continue, and accept that it’s a bit wrinkly. Something to consider next time, and if anyone has any tips to avoid these type of wrinkles, I’d love to know!
So, the finished thing:
Aside from the wrinkles, I’m pretty happy with how this turned out, and I still love the fabric and the lace. I’m wearing it over my Edwardian chemise, bum pad and the Wearing History bust improvers I just made up:
The Edwardian silhouette is all about emphasizing the waist by having a full bust and wide hips. The hips I almost have, but the bust can use a little help, and these improvers are a perfectly historical solution! I now just need to make a corset cover to cover up the edge of the corset.
Some detail shots:
And lying flat (which it doesn’t do very well). Here you can also see that the wrinkles are not just caused by fitting issues…
The lace, attached on the inside:
And from the outside. It’s so pretty!
I also made bias tape for the first time, which I think worked rather well! And I flossed the corset. Of course, having no experience in embroidery or flossing I went for the simplest design.. not. It worked out okay though, they’re not all exactly the same, but pretty enough!
At the busk.
The flossing on the inside & the bias tape hand-stiched down:
I flossed the bones in the front and the 2 at the back nearest the grommets.