Refashioned hoop

Because I recently made a new 1860’s hoop, I no longer needed the old one. The main problem with the old one was that it was made out of plastic piping and ducttape. The piping was sewn onto the vertical supports with little pieces of ribbon, but they frayed terribly and so the hoops kept falling loose of the vertical supports. Moreover, to keep them in the right location horizontally, I attached the hoops to the ribbons with ducttape. This wasn’t very sturdy either. Although this meant it was a terrible elliptical hoop, the piping itself was quite sturdy, and I felt like just throwing it out would be a shame. So I took it all apart, and fashioned it into a regular 1850’s bell shape!

For anyone interested in the process, I strongly recommend the tutorial by the Dreamstress. I made my hoop in a similar way.

I first designed the hoop to check for the desired hoop sizes. I drew a picture of the shape, checked for scale and looked at the diameter of the hoops and accordingly calculated the circumference of the hoop. As turned out I had one hoop less than I drew in, so I shifted all the hoops down and didn’t use the last one.

IMG_0702

One of the main problems with the old hoop were the vertical ribbons, so this time I decided to do it properly and used a double ribbon for each support. I put a hoop every 13 cm, and sewed the ribbons together at those points to create the supports for the hoops.

I then attached the hoops to the vertical supports with rope. It’s not very pretty, but as I couldn’t sew through my hoops, this was the best way. My piping has ridges, which stop the rope from slipping, so it works fine. I used the same method to clasp the hoops together in the front, and further supported it with a bit of ducttape.

IMG_0696

IMG_0697

I used the waist-band from the old hoop, and voila! It’s no beauty, but it works!

IMG_0695

IMG_0698

Now I just need a 1850’s petticoat and dress. Nothing planned yet, but who knows.

For now I’ve just tried the hoop with one of my long non-historical skirts. It’s quite pretty this way! I did have to put another two layers underneath to make sure the first hoop didn’t show too much, so I’ll definitely need at least one petticoat.

IMG_0700

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Refashioned hoop

  1. Pingback: 1860’s Balgown – photos | Atelier Nostalgia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s