Sewing – Stays

Last year, I made my first corset. All my previous sewing experience had been with modern of costumy garments, mostly a lot of simple skirts, so it was a challenge. Because I’d no idea how well it would turn out and mostly just wanted to try it out, I was hesitant to spend a lot on a commercial pattern. After looking through many online patterns, I settled on the pattern generator of this Danish website: http://www.scandinaviantailoring.com/dtta/interactive/korset_1/index.htm

I have no idea as to how historical the pattern is, but it creates a 18th century type silhouette, which was what I was looking for. The first mock-up didn’t really fit properly, but I think I managed to get it sort of right. I used construction methods learned from youtube, and sort of guessed where to place the boning, as the pattern didn’t say. Everything considered, I’m pretty happy with how well it turned out.

I made it out of left-over fabric of a skirt I made, it’s not very historically correct, but I love the pattern. I had two layers of strong fabric and one outer layer, used spring steel boning and black bias tape.

I didn’t take too many progress photos, but this one is while binding. I had to be very careful to stay away from the pins. It reminded me of a medieval weapon.

20130504_125310_zpskilmtbqg (440x330)

 

When I started the binding I had 2 meters of bias band and figured that would be plenty. This was the amount I had left at the end. At least now I know that it takes about 2 meters to bind a corset with straps!

20130504_152531_zpsmjqtbnjd (440x587)

The finished corset, lying flat, still without the ribbons or lacing cord:

20130504_152343_zpsndxdohso

And on my dressform:

20130702_143207_zpsflu8uaom (440x587)

20130702_143153_zps8fozpm1q (440x587)

20130702_143138_zps62ymtug7 (440x587)