Sewing – Floral Recency dress

This dress has been a long time in the making. I believe I bought the pattern over 3 years ago, planning to make a dress. Then, at least a year after that, I finally bought the fabric. I decided to also buy a cheaper fabric to try out the dress first, in a shorter version to sort of pass for a summer dress. I ended up having enough fabric to make an underskirt, and that dress I finished about a year ago. I started the floral dress almost directly after, and finally finished a couple of weeks ago.

The pattern I originally picked was Butterick 6630:

Butterick 6630

I knew it was not entirely historically correct, but this one was available at a Dutch patternshop and I was going for historically inspired. Of course, after making the first dress following the pattern and looking at loads of images of actual regency gowns, I wanted something slightly different by the time I actually started. So in the end, I only used the bodice pattern, which from what I’ve seen, I believe is reasonably accurate.

When shopping for fabrics, I originally wanted to find a very thin white cotton, but that turned out to be completely impossible in our fabric market, unless you wanted embroidery of babies on it. So I settled for a beige flower patterned fabric. It’s not period correct in that it is way too heavy, but I really loved the pattern. It is a little old-fashioned for Regency, but there are some examples of flower-patterned dresses.

My fabric, with my hand for the size ;). The lace I originally meant to use, but eventually replaced with something a bit more contrasting.

From the American Textile museum

The sleeves in the pattern were a little too big for my taste, and after seeing these two dresses I decided to make fitting sleeves. It was my first time drafting a sleeve pattern, and looking back I might do it a little differently, but I think they turned out ok for a first attempt.

The skirt pattern I took from this dress: http://www.19thus.com/WomensClothing/MHS_MauveCotton1973_37.html , so is completely accurate.

I decided that practicality came before accuracy when it came to sewing, and used the machine for everything accept the trimming. I don’t have a lot of time to sew anyway, so speed and convienience were more important this time.

I’m glad with how it turned out, although of course I immediately wanted to make a new and improved dress when I was done. Keeps one busy I suppose.

I’ve already posted the pictures of the dress on me at the Bal Masque, but here are some more on my dressform.

 photo 20130702_144620_zpsbs0g5g0x.jpg

This was taken before I hemmed the dress.

 photo 20130702_144658_zpsyh2nqnhn.jpg

The back, before I hemmed the dress. The waist actually looks a bit lower than it actually is here.

 photo 20130810_214023_zpspmystzgn.jpg

Of course I also needed a matching reticule. I made it a bit small though, so I might make a bigger one one day.

 photo 20131103_194202_zpssatutgfo.jpg

A better picture of the bodice. The colours are a bit off here.

Advertisements

One thought on “Sewing – Floral Recency dress

  1. Pingback: Historical accuracy – Regency | Atelier Nostalgia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s