Sewing – Floral Recency dress

This dress has been a long time in the making. I believe I bought the pattern over 3 years ago, planning to make a dress. Then, at least a year after that, I finally bought the fabric. I decided to also buy a cheaper fabric to try out the dress first, in a shorter version to sort of pass for a summer dress. I ended up having enough fabric to make an underskirt, and that dress I finished about a year ago. I started the floral dress almost directly after, and finally finished a couple of weeks ago.

The pattern I originally picked was Butterick 6630:

Butterick 6630

I knew it was not entirely historically correct, but this one was available at a Dutch patternshop and I was going for historically inspired. Of course, after making the first dress following the pattern and looking at loads of images of actual regency gowns, I wanted something slightly different by the time I actually started. So in the end, I only used the bodice pattern, which from what I’ve seen, I believe is reasonably accurate.

When shopping for fabrics, I originally wanted to find a very thin white cotton, but that turned out to be completely impossible in our fabric market, unless you wanted embroidery of babies on it. So I settled for a beige flower patterned fabric. It’s not period correct in that it is way too heavy, but I really loved the pattern. It is a little old-fashioned for Regency, but there are some examples of flower-patterned dresses.

From the American Textile museum

The sleeves in the pattern were a little too big for my taste, and after seeing these two dresses I decided to make fitting sleeves. It was my first time drafting a sleeve pattern, and looking back I might do it a little differently, but I think they turned out ok for a first attempt.

The skirt pattern I took from this dress: , so is completely accurate.

I decided that practicality came before accuracy when it came to sewing, and used the machine for everything accept the trimming. I don’t have a lot of time to sew anyway, so speed and convienience were more important this time.

I’m glad with how it turned out, although of course I immediately wanted to make a new and improved dress when I was done. Keeps one busy I suppose.

I’ve already posted the pictures of the dress on me at the Bal Masque, but here are some more on my dressform.

20130702_144620_zpsbs0g5g0x (440x587)

The front, before I hemmed the bottom.

20130702_144658_zpsyh2nqnhn (440x587)

And the back!

20130810_214023_zpspmystzgn (440x587)

Matching reticule

20131103_194202_zpssatutgfo (525x700)

A close-up of the bodice. Apologies for the weirdly green colorscheme.